Thursday, August 16, 2007

Changing. . .Again



I am a wussy, wimp head.

My kids started school today.

And I am full of mixed emotions.

This year brings lots of uncharted territory for my family. I have one kid starting high school, one starting middle school and one who will be alone in the elementary for the first time. But the hardest pill to swallow is my oldest is a senior. We'll be navigating through college visits and scholarship applications and senior pictures and ACT tests and financial aid reports. The year this kid started kindergarten I went through two weeks of feeling like my heart would break because it was the first step of letting him go. Now, we reach a new milestone, a big one, getting him ready to leave and start his own life apart from us. I already got a little weepy hearing Mark Harris' song. . ."let my love give you roots and help you find your wings." It could be a tough year ahead.

I'm not crazy about change, and yet it's the only constant in my life. Sheesh, God, what kind of ironic genius is that?! Why, o why, Lord, must everything keep changing? Sometimes my heart just can't take it. But God reminds me this day I don't navigate and adjust alone. We take one day at a time. He will guide me, comfort me and breathe His peace into my otherwise wimpy self.

And He touches my soul with beautiful words, making me confident all will be well. I can't help but share them with you today. May they soothe you as well.

Hear, O Lord, and answer me, for I am poor and needy.
Guard my life, for I am devoted to you.
You are my God; save your servant who trusts in you.
Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I call to you all day long.
Bring joy to your servant, for to you, O Lord, I lift up my soul.
You are forgiving and good, O Lord, abounding in love to all who call to you.
Hear my prayer, O Lord; listen to my cry for mercy.
In the day of my trouble I will call to you, for you will answer me. . .
For you are great and do marvelous deeds; you alone are God.
Teach me your way, O Lord, and I will walk in your truth; give me an undivided heart, that I may fear your name.
I will praise you, O Lord my God, with all my heart; I will glorify your name forever.
For great is your love toward me. . .
you, O Lord, are a compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness.
Turn to me and have mercy on me; grant your strength to your servant. .
Psalm 86.


Mmmmm. . .okay, Lord, I can get through today. Thank You.


To read other Thankful Thursday posts, visit Sting My Heart.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I do remember when my first was getting ready to go to college. I couldn't go by the good bye section at hallmark without tearing up...
Blessings on you as you navigate through your changes. God is good and He grows our kids up so they can stand on their own.

Rachelle said...

I feel like I am constantly getting myself ready for that eventual day when my children will leave our home. Sometimes I'm just not sure how I will survive it. But I figure I have to really face each of these milestones head-on and not be afraid to face the emotions they bring up in me. Maybe by the time my oldest is ready to leave for college, I won't be any less heartbroken but I'll have practice dealing with it. It's like dealing with the incremental heartbreak the whole time they're growing up, separating from us bit by bit. I think it's incredibly difficult... and I'm one of those people who actually deals pretty well with change! Okay, I'm rambling now, sorry. Your post struck a chord with me. You can get through today, and so can I. Thanks for that reminder.

P.S. Okay, I admit it. Mid-morning, I sat here at my computer in my VERY quiet house, and got all teary-eyed. First day of school. Yep, I really miss them. They're so annoying sometimes but darn-it, I just got used to having them around.

Anonymous said...

I just dropped off child #2 out of 5 at college 5 1/2 hours away yesterday. Since this is #2, while it is hard, I will tell you that is really a time of changing from child to friend. Look forward to the times ahead. They are wonderful.

Aunt Angie said...

"For great is your love toward me. . ." I love that whole Psalm too!
Tough year ---Senior year---we realize we can't "hold them back"...they are ready to explore the world...my baby's Senior year was emotional for me. But we lived through it!!! God is good.
Have a wonderful weekend, I enjoyed your post!

SandyCarlson said...

What a big year for you and your family. The gift of your loving care, which is so apparent, is probably a key ingredient in getting through such biggies! Your post reminds me to cherish my daughter, thank my mother, and love it all. Thanks.

Kara Bird said...

Oh yes... change. Boy do I understand that this weekend. I love that Psalm Tami. And I love your perspective of, "I can get through today." That's always the way it is isn't it? One day at a time.

Anonymous said...

Tami,

This post is full of authentic living and all of us feel like you feel from time-to-time.

Thank you for pointing to Jesus. He is our only constant in our swirling world of change.

Excellent post!

Christine said...

Scripture is timeless, isn't it? In whatever situation, at whatever time, He is always there, on the page, ready to give guidance and hope. Life is merely a succession of transitions.

eph2810 said...

I so feel you heart, Tami...I have to let go too this year. Our son will be moving into his first apartment on Sept 15th *sigh* - so I totally know what you are going through...Yes, we encounter many changes in our lives, but there is One constant - His love and guidance...

Thank you so much for sharing your heart with us this week.

Be blessed today and always....