Thursday, August 30, 2007

For My Other Mom and Dad

His fingers are so thick, he would have trouble hitting one key at a time on the piano. Hers are petite, requiring a size 3 ring for her pinkie and perfectly manicured. Their hands are evidence of the striking contrasts between them and yet they've been entwined for 50 years today.

50 years. A lifetime.

My husband's parents celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary today. Fifty years of knowing who would greet them at the end of a long day. Fifty years of gritting their teeth and pushing through. Fifty years of having someone in their corner. Fifty years of putting someone else's needs ahead of their own. Fifty years of tense moments in hospital waiting rooms and pinching pennies and waiting on each other. Fifty years of a constant, comforting presence in bed each night.

It is a milestone and a blessing, not only for them, but for those who know and love them. We are the better for their example, for making it look easy even when it wasn't. They are a lamp post saying, "Yes, it can be done. Things can get better. There is reward for a life lived right." So we celebrate with them. We raise our glasses high and say "Cheers!" And we bow low in humble gratitude for the God who made it all happen.

Happy Anniversary, Mom and Dad. Thank you for your tremendous example. You impact the lives of many, many people and have enriched mine in countless ways. You are truly special people. I am proud and honored to call you my family. May God bless us all with many more years of your union. I love you.


Visit Sting My Heart to read other Thankful Thursday posts.

6 comments:

Denise said...

Be sweetly blessed my dear one.

Dianne said...

As always Tami, your words are a beautiful gift you share with others. I hope your inlaws are as blessed by these words as I have been.

Denise said...

Blessings to your in-laws as they celebrate this wonderful moment in their life! What a blessing for all of you to have so much love and respect for one another! Your words are beautiful ~ a priceless gift to a very deserving couple!! Denise R.

Anonymous said...

Beautifully said! Congrats to the happy couple. And tell them thanks for the example.

eph2810 said...

Happy belated anniversary to your in-laws. How beautiful that people are staying married, no matter what! As I was reading this post I was thinking of the song "Walking her home" - that song brings tears to me eyes every time I hear it.

Thank you so much for sharing your joyful heart with us this past week.

Blessings to you and yours.

Sista Cala said...

this is just another one of your award winning posts. come by my place and pick up your latest trophy.