Tuesday, September 04, 2007

To Pray or Not to Pray


"Praying is no easy matter. It demands a relationship in which you allow someone other than yourself to enter into the very center of your person, to see there what you would rather leave in darkness, and to touch there what you would rather leave untouched. Why would you really want to do that?"

~ Henri Nouwen ~


When I prayed for patience, my stress level rose forcing me to endure more.

When I asked Him to take away the trial, He pushed me through it.

When I begged God for a miracle, none came.

When I requested more self-control, the temptations seemed greater.

When I pleaded for humility, it took two weeks for me to lift my head again.

When I cried out for mercy, the tears washed away the sorrow and a glimmer of hope shown through.

When I prayed for decisiveness, the answers became clearer.

When I asked for strength, I made it to the other side.

When I laid awake at night, plagued by worries, I prayed for peace and His words calmed my spirit.

When I commune with the living God, He soothes me, helping me breathe deeply and utter a sigh of relief.

How can I NOT pray?

Join Christine at Fruit in Season for more impressions of this quote.

7 comments:

Miriam Pauline said...

Bless you! I so agree, it is not a case of why do I pray, but why would I not pray? Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Amen Tami. We seem to all be coming to this conclusion, why wouldn't we pray..
blessings on you.

SandyCarlson said...

This is very beautiful. Nouwen offers so much, but you add even to that! I share many of these experiences with you. Thanks for this.

Christine said...

Yes, I was sighing with you on your post. I love your writing...even the simple, "me-too" kind of posts.

:)

Aunt Angie said...

That is it! I cannot imagine a life w/o prayer!!!
I loved your thoughts. I have been in those places you speak of!
Thanks for sharing...(I had forgotten all about "In Other Words" this week!) Busy here at work!
Be blessed Tami!

Susannah said...

Your experience of prayer is so universal, that I'm sure your readers can relate to every single word!

To me, prayer is so much like breathing. There are times when my prayer journal has been a life- saver... but oddly, there are times when I forget to keep one. Praise God that He's there for us when we have rivers of thoughts, and also just trickles. :~)

Anonymous said...

Spectacular, as always, in its forthright, highly relate-able but powerful simplicity.