Sunday, August 12, 2007

A Long Walk


Discouragement set in and she dug in her heels, determined to push through. Unable to shake it, she decided a long walk was in order. Taking advantage of her aloneness, she muttered all her questions aloud to God until she found herself regurgitating the same things over and over. Having no more to say, she listened, but heard nothing, so she kept walking and walking and walking, waiting for something, anything to address her conflicting emotions.

There were cats on porches, beautifully manicured lawns and dogs making their presence known. She heard the birds and noticed squirrels scurrying through trees. As her feet crunched over wilted leaves and gravel, it occurred to her.

Humans are the only element of creation that questions God.

Grass doesn't ask why it is green. Cats don't look for the meaning of hairballs. Mosquitoes don't wonder what their purpose is. Dirt doesn't ask God to make it more exciting.

Then she remembered the other unique quality of humans. They are created in the image of God. Does that mean He has a hard time understanding too? Suddenly God spoke.

Why don't you trust Me?
Why must you understand everything?
When will you realize there is more to My plan than you?
What more must I do to demonstrate my love for you?


And she fell silent.

"You asked,'Who is this that obscures my counsel without knowledge?'
Surely I spoke of things I did not understand, things too wonderful for me to know." -- Job 42:3




Photo Credit: ibeatty

6 comments:

Denise said...

Tami ~
It's been a week since I have been able to sit down at my computer, but I wanted to wish you a belated "Happy Anniversary"! Your posts are still inspiring and amazing to me! Thanks for sharing! Love ya, Denise R.

Kara Bird said...

What a profound post Tami. Thanks for sharing your wisdom with us. :)

kpjara said...

It's good to know when we walk through the valley not only are we not alone...but others have walked the very same route.

Thanks for this!

Delete said...

Tami-

I loved this post! You captured your walk so well that I felt as if I were there. Thank you for sharing your reflections.

Jenny

Anonymous said...

Tami,

Job 42 is perfect. It is the point when Job comes to a real understanding of his place in God's vast divine plan. Job was humble, he surrendered to what he didn't understand, he acknowledged God for He is. That is where we must be, that is where I know you strive to live your life.

What did God do for Job? Restoration of his loss beyond imagination. There is no guarantee He will do that for us, but we do have a guarantee the He will honor our humbleness and our surrender to His plan.

Keep pressing on. Linda

Susannah said...

When we feel lost, Scripture so adequately answers the cry of our hearts. I like your quote from Job. He didn't have all the answers (or the Scriptures) but he surely trusted God. What a man of faith to pattern our lives after! :~)