Thursday, September 13, 2007

Forgiveness and Unity

A year ago she could hardly look at me.

I did something stupid and hurt her. . .deeply. The pain lingered in her eyes for months. It nearly did me in.

But thankfully, God ordained a little something called unity. My friend and I, despite our differences, serve and love the same God and because of it, we were compelled to obey Him. It was no easy task. For a long time the sight of me seemed to rip her wound open again, but she pushed through, was pleasant and engaged in conversation with me anyway. Though sometimes it felt like I didn't have it in me, I forced myself to approach her, ignoring the pit in my stomach and lump in my throat as I saw what my presence did to her. All this effort despite our feelings, all for the love of God. It would have been much easier to avoid each other, but neither of us could ignore God's gentle words.

Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity. (Colossians 3:12-14)

I wish I could say the year has flown by, but honestly it hasn't. It's been tough and confusing and full of tears, no doubt for both of us, but things are better, much better. Though at first we were only going through the motions because it was right, our injured hearts have come along and now seem to be mending. My friend no longer cringes inside when she sees me. We are talking more easily and she seems genuinely interested in what's going on in my life. She has given me an incredible gift, setting aside her pain to show me true forgiveness and mercy. We have experienced the miraculous healing that could only come from God.

I've learned SOOO many things, not the least of which is this: Obeying God's word, even in the hardest of situations brings about His perfect plan. Being obedient to His command to unity was the only thing that salvaged our relationship. Had we not followed God's Word, I doubt we would be where we are today. Our friendship would have ceased entirely.

I am thankful for my friend who gutted it out no matter how difficult it was for her personally. She gives me overwhelming evidence there is a God. How else could we have resolved this peacefully?


Visit Iris at Sting My Heart for more Thankful Thursday posts.

10 comments:

Denise said...

May you and your friend both be sweetly blessed.

Christine said...

What an incredible gift. It is so much harder to do what God calls us to- from her end or yours. Your friendship will grow with the work you are both putting into it!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful and touch post! I love seeing what others are thankful for!

Mindy said...

HOW wonderful! I think those can end up being the best friends of all!
Blessings on you!
In HIM -
Mindy

Mary said...

Praise God for restoration. I've been there. Sometimes the forgiveness works and sometimes people just walk away. I'm glad there's healing in your relationship. Thanks for sharing. Blessings.

Miriam Pauline said...

You have no idea how much this spoke to me. Thank you!

Vicki said...

This is His grace being lived out between the two of you...so precious. Thanks for sharing this with us. Coming by to rejoice with you this THankful Thursday for all the many ways God is working in our lives and hearts!

Tarrah said...

Friendships are so precious! What a blessing that the Lord can heal. I'm happy for you both

Dianne said...

Very thought-provoking post and one I could relate to. Interesting connection between forgiveness and unity. Thanks for sharing . . .

Robin said...

Praise God that both of you are spiritually mature enough to do what is right, not what is easy. I have a feeling you will reap benefits from these difficult actions for the rest of your lives.
Thank you for being a strong Christian example to all of us.