Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Worth


"The worth and excellency of a soul is to be measured by the object of its love."
Henry Scougal (The Life of God in the Soul of Man ), quoted by John Piper in The Pleasures of God


This quote has gotten my wheels a spinnin' (of course a break in the clouds can do that to me too, but anyway). Immediately I was reminded of verses about reflecting God's glory and how those of us who love God should do that. Apparently MiPa thought the same thing and I appreciated her impressions that the way we spend our time should point to what we love. Amen, sister!

But there was one thing that stuck in my craw. Perhaps I am missing something by reading the statement out of its context, but on its own it really rubbed me the wrong way. It seems harsh to say someone's worth or excellence is dependent upon what they love. Is the child who adores her alcoholic mother not worthy or excellent because her mother has problems? Do we really want to say an unbeliever is NOT worthy or excellent because they don't love God? Worthy or excellent to who? Didn't Jesus die for ALL, not just the ones who love Him? This can't be God's view. Hasn't He created ALL of us? Does He not think ALL of us have worth whether we love Him or not? If He didn't, we would not exist!

Certainly we can and should reflect the worth and excellency of God if we say we love Him, but this is dangerous territory assigning ourselves worth. I realize the intention of this statement is to cause us all to pause and evaluate whether we display God, but it seems more than a little arrogant and pious to me to claim worth and excellence simply because we love God. None of us are worthy. We are recipients of amazing grace and mercy.


For more impressions of this quote visit Laurel Wreath.

7 comments:

Lori said...

I apologize if the quote upset you. And I truly hear what you are saying. The book does describe more fully, my main point is that God's delight is His Glory; and we delighting in His glory, we are the ones blessed by it. This is not a discussion for non believers, yes God loves them and yes Christ died for each one of them.

This is for Christians, in pointing out that your delight in God is what leads to your infinite joy. Not the things we (I) sometimes chase after to give us joy.

Blessings.

Denise said...

Enjoyed your post, bless you.

Miriam Pauline said...

Thank you my friend for the encouragment!

I hear what you are saying. I found the extra context and questions that LW posted alongside the quote helped me not focus on the *worthiness* part and focus more on the *what do I delight in* part. That said, I do think it is important for us to struggle with and question statements--especially when context is not clear.

Bless you and your family this week!

Anonymous said...

Maybe it should read "our worthiness and excellence of our souls is measured by and in He Who loves us."

Rachelle said...

Amen, sister. YOU got my wheels a turnin' today. (Stop it! I don't have time for this!)

Kara Bird said...

Ooo... good thoughts friend. Very though provoking. I think you made some good points. (Especially in the end. I know I'm definately not worthy.)

Susannah said...

Just lost my comment! In a nutshell, I like the fact that our Lord calls us his "friends." We are no longer slaves but friends. (John 15:15). There's a mutuality of relationship, even while we worship and appreciate His glory.