Thursday, September 20, 2007

A Good Neighbor


What he said irked me, but it really didn't hurt. It felt the same as following a putzy driver when I'm in a hurry. I wanted to mutter, "C'mon."

So I muttered. . .too much. I deceived myself, thinking it was a good opportunity to make a point, but no justification made it right. When I had a hard time looking at him a few days later I realized I was out of line, WAY out of line. My words caused uncomfortable attention for both of us. What I said was completely petty and stupid and down right ugly. As hard as it was, I had to own up to and apologize for my inane behavior. I was wrong. And insensitive. And hurtful.

He and his wife listened quietly and attentively. They patiently let me get it all out as I struggled to talk through my crying. There was no lashing back, no accusations, no sharp words. Instead he looked me in the eye and said softly,

"Tami, if I hurt you in any way, I am so sorry."

I still tear up thinking about it. I was the idiot, yet he cared enough to acknowledge my feelings.

There were many tough times in the following days and months. I was so ashamed and unsure of myself I wanted to crawl under the covers and forget about life for awhile. This man and his wife nudged me along when I wanted to quit. They were quick to bring hugs and encouraging words and, I suspect, many prayers. They helped me heal.

How do you say thank you for such undeserved grace, such mercy in the flesh?

Jesus said, "Go and do likewise."


Go to Sting My Heart for more Thankful Thursday posts.

3 comments:

Denise said...

Beautiful post dear one.

Rachelle said...

Yes, go and do likewise. It's the greatest way to say thank you. And boy, do people need it.

Thanks for the story. I hear you. I know.

eph2810 said...

Wow, Tami - thank you for bringing grace close to home. Sometimes I need to read it from a person's life to understand fully the grace God gave us.
Thank you much for sharing.