Thursday, September 06, 2007

Our Times Are in Your Hands

WARNING--Those of you who have been reading this blog in the last few weeks may feel the need to refer me to a good psychiatrist after reading this post, fearing a schizophrenic nature in me. I prefer to think of it as growth.

The last of my family shut the door and I sighed a big long "Aaaah." An hour and a half to myself before the next thing. A gift. A huge gift.

Though I was all dressed for the Y, suddenly exercising lost its appeal. There were towels to be folded in the dryer--Nah. The kitchen was clean enough. I could make my phone calls later. I settled down with my journal and Bible and read, "Be still and know that I am God. . ." Feeling a little groggy, being still before God sounded like a good idea. So I sat. Doing nothing. Being still.

Thus began the frittering away of an hour and a half.

At first I felt justified taking it a little easy because we had an especially busy weekend, hosting an open house for my in-laws' 50th anniversary. For the last two weeks I've been bemoaning busyness, feeling overwhelmed by everything to be done, letting tasks weigh down my heart. But I have kept pressing on, crossing things off my list and actually accomplishing a few things. I've had a chance to breathe this week, but I'm not getting as much done. As guilt set in this morning, I actually became wistful for crazy busy because at least in crazy busy I don't even have to think about what to do next.

Of course I would prefer a more leisurely pace, but I realize there is value in busy. While I may not be completely rested or relaxed, I am productive. Today, having a tiny glimpse of how time can be wasted, I am truly grateful for much to do. It forces me to hit it hard and get a lot done. Though it makes me weary, work is a gift I can be thankful for. Oh, that AND caffeine.


Visit Sting My Heart to read other Thankful Thursday posts.

6 comments:

Miriam Pauline said...

Without a plan I can soooo easily fritter away free time into nothingness--not accomplishing anything and not resting either. Work is a blessing, with the right balance. And understanding that is growth. :-)

on the Rock said...

Sometimes being even alittle productive makes me feel more rested too. Thank you for sharing.

Dianne said...

You make a good point, Tami. If we were never busy, we'd never appreciate the stillness. Beautifully put (as only you can do!)

Anonymous said...

What a fun post. I soooo get you... Really. Love and hugs!

Anonymous said...

What's wrong with a little schizophrenia? :) I think "busy" only becomes a problem when it develops into an idol of sorts--when we find worth in what we do versus who we are in Christ. There IS value in the still (otherwise, why would God jerk a knot in our heads and tell us to BE STILL and know Him? He knows we're twitchy as little earthlings).

Thanks for visiting my blog :); I've seen you around forever, and I really appreciated you taking the time to read...and comment.

Blessings on a beautiful Friday afternoon!

Susannah said...

LOL, I love this: Though it makes me weary, work is a gift I can be thankful for. Oh, that AND caffeine. Congrats to your in-laws!

The new button advertising your blog as my 31-Day Media Marathon winner is now gracing my sidebar. If you would like the code, let me know and I'll e-mail it to you. :~)