Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Hope

They sit around the room in silence, the only noise being the steady heaving of his chest. Eyes are glued there, waiting for the moment the breathing stops. It has been tough watching him suffer, knowing the only reprieve from pain will be his death. He has been strong and tried to spare them, yet his private agony, that which no one could take away, could clearly be seen in his eyes. And now, he can no longer keep them open. Instead, his struggle is evident in the labored breaths he takes, each one sounding like his last. His end is near.

I remember my affliction and my wandering, the bitterness and the gall. I well remember them, and my soul is downcast within me.

But the sadness is mixed with joy. They have had time to say what needed to be said. They have been assured of his destiny. They know he gets to go home. He will soon leave this world with its pain and uncertainty and evil. He will be on to a better place and though their hearts will ache for a while, he will be whole again, basking in the glow of heaven, seeing and finally understanding God. And they are happy.

Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, "The Lord is my portion; therefore I will wait for him."

The waiting is hard, yet thankfulness abounds. This is not all there is. The best is yet to come. Even in the midst of the trial, a gentle hand lifts them up, providing precisely what is needed at this moment. Thank You, Lord, for such mercy.




Join Crystal at God is in Control.....NOT ME! for more Thankful Thursday posts.

11 comments:

Denise said...

Wow Tami! This post takes me back to when Byron's dad passed away, and that's been 10 years already. My dear friend is going through this right now too, and I so feel for her. It's never easy, saying goodbye - but with the hope and the promise from our Savior - we are given a new strength to go on and peace that those we hold most dear are now wrapped in the arms of a love that goes way beyond our comprehension. Praise God for that!

Anonymous said...

You have described these final moments so well and I was taken back to my Father-in-laws death bed. It is so sweet to know this isn't our final home. The best is in our future with Jesus in the place He has prepared for us. May God's comfort and peace fill this time for you and yours...

Brenda said...

It is a life changing moment to witness death. So beautiful when you know where they are going.

Diane Viere said...

Your post is filled with raw truth! I could feel myself returning to my own father's deathbed....feeling the loss of his earthly life, but feeling the peace of knowing that just three weeks before his death, he accepted Jesus as his Lord--all the promises were now his.

Bless you for sharing this deeply meaningful post.

Diane

Ms. Kathleen said...

God Bless Your Sweet Heart.

We do have a hope and we are so Thankful for that hope, the life everlasting.

God Bless!

Crystal said...

Wow that was beautifully written! It is so bittersweet letting a loved one go, even if it is into the arms of our maker.

Thanks for sharing your grateful heart with us this week.

Blessings

Heather said...

The last breaths of life as painful for us to listen to (I also remember these poignant moments), but there is thanksgiving in the hope of eternity. We grieve not as the world. Oh, the grace to be truly thankful in the season of grief.

Denise said...

Precious blessings to you dear.

Living Beyond said...

Every Word so true - I remember my FIL passing exactly as you have written it. God bless you lady.

Btw you visited me when I was "Fresh Brewed Faith" I am now "Living Beyond Myself" Long story but I deleted my blog by accident!! UGH

Rachelle said...

Thinking of you friend.

Shalene said...

My prayers are with you and your family. I too know the pain of the passing of a loved one. May the peace of the Lord be upon you, today and always.