Sunday, October 28, 2007

Why are you a Christian?

Every day I run across something that makes me go, "hmmmm" and today is no exception. (No comments from the peanut gallery, please!) Shalene posted an interesting e-mail interchange on her blog that challenged me. She was asked "Why are you a Christian?" The man asking thought it illogical and outdated to have such belief. It got me thinking about what I would say. Shouldn't I have a ready reply?

I actually struggled with this last summer. How do you explain God? There is no logical explanation. Even God says, "But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise." I can't prove His existence and yet I can't deny Him either. WHY?

I know I am changed. He touched my heart telling me I was more than a shy, little, fat girl. He told me He had plans for me and nothing is a mistake. The words in the Bible move me like no other. They stir my spirit and entice me to believe at all costs and beyond rational thinking. It doesn't make sense. I know that full well, yet I can't help it. Nothing else gives me hope and security. I don't have the emotional mettle to live without Him.

Help me out here. Why are YOU a Christian? What drew you to a relationship with Christ? How would you explain it?



Photo Credit: WTL photos

7 comments:

Brenda said...

What a thought provoking question...I was only 8 years old. I guess God made me realize that I needed Him because He wanted to have fellowship with me. He called me to Himself.

Anonymous said...

An excellent idea to write about, Tami.

I shall take up this topic!

Anonymous said...

I think it's something simple...for me anyway. It's because I believe. (And I've put my trust in Him before and He took care of me!) Is it wrong to just tell someone "Because I believe?" I also believe this chair I'm sitting in will hold me because I put my trust in it and it took care of me as well. We get the choice to believe in what we want and I think this is no different. It's because I believe.

Susannah said...

Good question Tami!

My decision to follow Jesus was based on NEED. I had a need that no earthly person could meet... the need for unconditional love. My parents divorced when I was in my teens, I realized that no mere mortal could live up to my expectations. When the Gospel was presented, I jumped... and I've never looked back. :~) For me, understanding the sin part came later. Blessings!

Anonymous said...

I became a Christian when I was 8 years old. I have always had a relationship with Him so this is a very difficult question. I think that when you are a Christian you feel so many convictions that as a non believer you wouldn't. It's hard to explain but it is just a peace that only comes from Him.

Anonymous said...

I saw that over at Shalene's blog too. What a simple, yet heavy question. In the beginning, 12 years ago, it was about being empty and broken. That was what Christ rescued me from. Why I continue to follow Christ can be explained in nothing less than being led by the Holy Spirit. As I told Shalene, that is hard to explain to an unbeliever. Hopefully I live in a way that people see something different in me that can only be explained by Christ.

Thanks for your kind comments on my blog. I always love it when I have a comment out there from you, sweet friend!! :)

Denise said...

When the warmth of the sun hits my leg as I am driving in my car to the hospital to visit my dying father-in-law, I know he's there because a certain peace overcomes me. When we were forced to travel by bus from Guangzhou to Hong Kong and the only English speaking chinese man on the bus happens to be sitting next to my husband and offers us help - I'm reminded He's there. When I witness a complete change in my daughter who has been struggling for so long - I know it's Him. When I ask for a clean heart and a renewed spirit within me and wake up to seeing the me I was meant to be - I know! There are signs everywhere of His presence in my life - so, following Him has been one of the easiest choices in my life! I am proud to be a Christian!