Tuesday, March 17, 2009

What do you reveal about yourself in the way you handle criticism?

It was obvious she wasn't there for help. She wouldn't take our suggestions. She got defensive and even a little irritated. Why would a person come to a writing group if they weren't willing to consider how readers interpret the work?

But then I wondered, what do I reveal about myself in the way I take criticism?

When I dismiss it, am I arrogant?
When it crushes me, am I weak?
When I'm ready to take it on, am I belligerent?
When I let it define me, am I a people pleaser?

How can we use criticism in a God-honoring way?

Listen to advice and accept instruction, and in the end you will be wise.

Proverbs 19:20

Amen. Lord, protect our hearts and give us the courage.


2 comments:

Susannah said...

A good word, Tami. (Neat that you're part of a writing group.) :~D

Emiley said...

This was SO timely for me today! We had a guest clinician come in to work with our band, and I put this on the board to encourage my students. Turns out, I was the one who needed to take these words to heart the most. Thank you!!