Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Life is Hard, but God is Good


“Life is difficult. This is a great truth, one of the greatest truths. It is a great truth because once we truly see this truth, we transcend it. Once we truly know that life is difficult – once we truly understand and accept it – then life is no longer difficult. Because once it is accepted, the fact that life is difficult no longer matters.”

M. Scott Peck
The Road Less Traveled

I'm not buying this quote. Life is difficult. Period. Knowing it is difficult is no help at all. Knowing life is difficult does not comfort me when I can't sleep worrying about one of my kids or money or how we'll ever get everything done. Knowing life is difficult does not soothe my grief over lost loved ones or stupid comments I made. Knowing life is difficult does not help me deal with a struggling child or looming deadline. It does not provide the wisdom or inspiration necessary to comfort a friend. Knowing life is difficult accomplishes one purpose.

It establishes my need for an all-powerful, all-knowing, merciful, loving God.

Jesus said,"In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."

He said, "Come to me, all who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."

He tells me, "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."

Only in my reliance in Jesus and His Word am I soothed and comforted. Only in Him do I find strength and motivation for each day.

Knowing life is difficult means nothing.

Knowing Jesus Christ is everything.

For more interpretations of this quote, visit Nina at Mama's Little Treasures.

10 comments:

Heather of Swallowing A Moose said...

Preach It Sister! I'm in complete agreement with you on this here quote.

Like you said, "Knowing Jesus IS EVERYTHING."

Eat the fish ... spit out the bones!

Anonymous said...

Tell me how you REALLY feel! A very good from the heart post. Well done!

Miriam Pauline said...

I'm with you on this! In fact, I gave up trying to write on the quote because it does matter that life is difficult. It matters for my friend dying of cancer. It matters for those who are struggling. It matters that relationships are hard. BUT, in spite of life being difficult, God is in control. That is what gives me peace. Thank you for saying what I couldn't write.

Jaime Kubik said...

Can I hear a WHOOP WHOOP?! Wonderful post!!! Loved the verses! You are SO RIGHT! Life sucks, but I have God! What more do I need?! Thank you for your words!!!

Heather of Swallowing A Moose said...

LOL... Thanks for the note Tami. I just can't help it. I so know the defeated life that now the Lord showed me victory (in ALL things) I just can't stand seeing people veered off onto the path (or it's lie).

I never in a million years would have said, "Life can be so uncomplicated." But it's true. It can.

This week i came across these words... Every spiritual transformation begins with a sincere cry for help. That's what's at the bottom of a screwed up view. It's a spiritual condition. Most likely a problem when really coming to the realization that YOU are His righteousness. Not because you and your works earned it but because of how gooooooood Jesus' body was as a sacrifice for sin. It was so incredibly good that Jesus, our heavenly High Priest, sat down. An act not allowed to the Old Covenant High Priets. They were ever standing because the sacrifices were still coming and needing to be done.

Folk's the work is FINISHED! Jesus is seated at the right hand of our Father. Praise God, Praise God, Praise God!

I treat life situations (that could wind up being difficuly) like a hot potatoe. I just toss those babies into Jesus' hands. I'm like, "Whew! Get that thing off me now!" Don't recieve the lie gals. The victorious life started when you accepted Christ not when we get to heaven. When Christ comes again will our present victory, found in Jesus, will be simply taken to an even higher location.

You are loved by such a love that God couldn't stand to be seperated from you eternally. So He sent His Son to redeeem you right where you are. Grab Him, Take Him for yourself ladies!

Ohhh I just love Jesus!

Cheptoek said...

I completely agree with you Tami. What matters is God. As MiPa above said. God is in control. I keep saying that when things get hard and I am scared.
Also the Isaiah verse you quoted is one of my favourite, When fear creeps in I read it often or recall it. There is so much comfort in knowing He reigns no matter what the world is trying to say.

Karen said...

Thanks for sharing today and for your honesty. I agree with you in many ways. Knowing life was tough pointed me in the right direction, to Jesus Christ. It was through Him that I would be able to survive. Praise the Lord.

Anonymous said...

I did not write on the quote until late last night, so this was the firt time to visit those who wrote. And I AGREE WITH YOU! I did not agree with it either . . .and shared similarily. Thank you for being open and honest and am thankful someone else saw it the way I did too. But, it gave a great opportunity to share as well!

Susan said...

Oh Tammi,

I'm so blessed and grateful for the day E-mom hooked us up!

Your writing touches me deeply and always "stirs something up" in my spirit.

You challenge me, you encourage me, all at the same time.

Another incredible post...

"Knowing life is difficult means nothing.

Knowing Jesus Christ is everything."

AMEN & AMEN!!!!!!!!!!

Love you♥

Betsy Markman said...

Beautifully said! The world dishes up lots of nice-sounding, warm fuzzy nonsense. I love to see believers stating the truth with such simple clarity!