Tuesday, April 06, 2010

I am a Wretch


Amazing Grace
How sweet the sound
that saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost
but know am found.
Was blind, but now I see.


Sadly, I am a wretch.

Most likely you are too.

Though I've known Jesus over thirty years, I still impatiently growl at putzy drivers in front of me. I still yell at my kids in frustration. I don't always think the best of people and make snap, unfair judgments. My hormones get the best of me. The words coming out of my mouth are not always lovely. I justify bad habits. I think of myself way more than I think of others. I skip time with God to check Facebook. I get angry when I don't think I'm given my due. My first thought of every morning is not gratitude to God. I spend more time getting ready in the morning than I spend on my knees in prayer.

As Todd Friel put it, "I am the wretch the song refers to."

I need a Savior.

You need a Savior.

Praise God He's provided one.

But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life. This is a trustworthy saying. And I want you to stress these things, so that those who have trusted in God may be careful to devote themselves to doing what is good. These things are excellent and profitable for everyone.

Titus 3:4-8


He washes me. He renews me. He teaches me. He pours out His grace.

There's hope for me yet.

Thank You, Lord!


For more interpretations of this quote, visit Esthermay at The Heart of a Pastor's Wife.


Photo Credit: Eric in SF

8 comments:

Missie said...

I was thinking the same thing this morning, working on those spiritual gifts is sometimes SO HARD!
Thanks for sharing!

Betsy Markman said...

Yep, I've got that "wretch" thing down pat, too! But I see the good that the Lord is developing in you, and I'm glad that you're one of my blogging friends!

Nic said...

I love that you found the perfect verse in Titus! I too am guilty of all of those things you listed and more! Thank God for His grace and mercy! I'm working on not being so wretched...but I am a work continually in progress. LOL!

Jaime Kubik said...

It's nice to know I've got good "wrech" company! Wise words, wise woman!

Claudia said...

So thankful that God washes us and renews us in spite of ourselves. So guilty of many of the same things, and he loves us. What an awesome God!

Karen said...

What a praise we have God's grace to see us through this wretched stage that never seems to go away. Ha Ha

Denise J. Hughes said...

I can so relate to what you've said here. One of the things you said made me stop and think...Do I spend more time every day putting on makeup than in communion with God? Hmmm.

Thanks for your thoughtful words here.

Sharlyn Guthrie said...

Being justified by His grace is awesome, but won't it be something to be glorified someday? Then all the wretchedness will melt away. I love the verse you chose.