Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Enjoying Today


The spirit of complaint is born out of an unwillingness to trust God with today. Like the Israelites, it means you are spending your time looking back toward Egypt or wishing for the future, all the while missing what God is doing right now.

Priscilla Shirer
One in a Million: Journey to Your Promised Land

There's nothing like having a senior in high school to wake you up to savoring every day. I look at Drama Queen and wonder what happened to the pudgy baby with a mind of her own? Where is the toddler who said, "You hurt my fleelings?" What day did I get the last picture she'd draw for me?

I can dwell on that (and sometimes I do), but what do I miss now as I look back? What amazing quality does she possess today that I overlook when I mourn the chubby cheeks I used to kiss?

When my kids were small, there were days I dreamed of peace and quiet, a clean house and spotless clothes, time for me, time for my husband, freedom and more money and the chance to hear an entire sermon or read the paper without interruption.

What did I miss as I wished for that? Whose little hand did I fail to grasp as I stared out the window wanting the future too soon?

God told me then as He tells me now, Enjoy every stage. Find the beauty of today. Take delight in each moment. When I fail to do that, when I live in the past or the future instead of the present, I am apt to be dissatisfied with what IS. And even if I never vocalize it, a spirit of complaint will rise in my heart, clouding me to the beauty of God's every day work. When I wish for what was or what could be, I devalue today, in essence telling God I am dissatisfied with the gift of now.

I don't want to do that. I don't want to miss His present of the present. I choose to trust Him with TODAY without looking forward or behind.

What about you? Are you willing to be satisfied with this day, trusting He's got it handled perfectly for you?


See what others think about this quote by joining our host Debbie at Heart Choices.

6 comments:

Miriam Pauline said...

Oh how I needed this word today! I can "just wait" myself into a frenzy when it comes to wanting the next stage of maturity to come, and miss so much of this stage. Thank you for the reminder to savor now, while they are still drawing me pictures, because these days will pass.

Debbie Petras said...

Such an excellent point and example you wrote about today Tami. Children grow up so quickly. Although I've no children of my own, I was very involved in my niece's lives. Now one is married and the other living on her own in NYC. Savor and enjoy each moment as it's happening.

Thanks for joining in this week Tami. You always have wonderful posts.

Blessings and love,
Debbie

Karen said...

That was a great example you gave today. I often have to stop myself in mid-flight to keep from doing what you describe. Thinking about what I missed out on when my little girl was growing up and I was disabled with epilepsy. The joys the memories. My daughter though puts me in my place because when she looks back she sees a picture I don't. One of lots of made up fun and laughter. No trips to disneyland, Hawaii, or anywhere but great memories she was able to bring into her future. It is best to stay in the present because we can see better there! Thanks for sharing.

Denise said...

Such a fantastic post dear.

Marsha Young said...

Tami,
So true, as we look back and wonder "what did I miss" - but even better to determine not to miss what God is doing in our lives today. I love the saying, "Each new day is a gift. That is why it is called the present." ...Marsha Y. at http://spotsand wrinkles.blogspot.com/

Cindy said...

This made me laugh out loud! I needed to hear this gentle reminder as I swim through the oceans of laundry today. I was groaning to myself just moments ago saying I'll never catch up over and over again and wondering when it would end. What a challenge to remember this - these baskets of clean and dirty laundry - is the present given by God. Who knew? Obviously I didn't get it.
Thank you for your words, Tami.