Monday, November 01, 2010

Financial Contentment in Marriage



Today's Marriage Monday topic takes me back to the early years of our marriage. Both still in college, I worked part-time at a grocery store and for our local public schools. Kevin gave a bazillion piano lessons. Money was extremely tight. We thought we hit the jackpot when we found enough change in the couch to buy a Sunday paper.

But we were so happy.

I thought Danny's Song our theme song.

And even though we ain't got money
I'm so in love with you, honey
And everything will bring a chain of love
And in the mornin' when I rise
You bring a tear of joy to my eyes
And tell me, everything is gonna be alright

Now nearly twenty-five years and four kids later, our financial picture is much better, but we're in the midst of braces and cell phones and driving teens and college and committed to living on one income to follow God's call on our lives. The song's relevance to us has never dimmed. I look at my husband today and those words come flooding back.

And even though we ain't got money
I'm so in love with you, honey
And everything will bring a chain of love
And in the mornin' when I rise
You bring a tear of joy to my eyes
And tell me, everything is gonna be alright

We may not have material riches, but our relational fortune is staggering. I AM so in love with him. Still. Years of scraping by have been tough, but I'd rather have him and no money than wealth without him. We've learned to trust God together as we rely on Him to meet our needs. We've learned to work hard, to hold each other up, to find joy in the simple things and celebrate the victories. TOGETHER.

The key to financial contentment in marriage is understanding the treasure of your union. New clothes and fancy cars and exotic vacations are nice, but they're only fluff. The gold is the relationship we share EVERY DAY, the way he belly laughs at my silly comments, the familiar body in my bed every night, the knowing looks from across the room, the man who chooses me first, each and every day of our lives. You can't put a price tag on that.

And even though we ain't got money
I'm so in love with you, honey

It is love that warms me to sleep every night, love that gives me security, love that brings joy and encourages me to be all I can for God. Love joins our hands and goes with us beyond this life into the next. Love never fails.

God has blessed us beyond measure. Our cup overflows. No amount of money can compare to the riches of my marriage. Dwelling there keeps me content, no matter what our financial outlook.


Want to see how others approach finances in their marriages? Visit e-Mom at Chrysalis for more on money and marriage.

9 comments:

April@The 21st Century Housewife said...

Tami, this is such a beautiful post! I so enjoyed reading it - what a wonderful love letter to your husband, and what an important message!!

Dawn said...

Amen! Love it! Enjoyed the song lyrics. LOL Have a wonderfully blessed day!

Marsha Young said...

Tami

What a great reflection on your marriage! Good for you. I enjoyed this post. Marsha Y.

Faith said...

OMgosh...I remember that song!! love it...
and how touching this MM post was to read....love it...I would also much rather be with my hubby TOGETHER (and my children) than with all the riches of this world....we are "rich" in other ways for sure....GOD IS GOOD!

Anonymous said...

All so true Tami!!! You've written a beautiful post. One of your BEST, sister!!! Simply scrumptious!

Thanks so much for joining us for Marriage Monday today.

(((Hugs))) e-Mom

bp said...

Such a great post, true riches have nothing to do with money, huh! God bless you and your marriage.

Denise said...

Enjoyed this post.

nice A said...

Love that song, too. MOney isn't everything to make a marriage work and be happy.
I'm so blessed with your post.

Unknown said...

Oh Tami,

what an absolutely beautiful post that honors your husband and is telling.... This is what married life is all about.

this glimpse into your life and marriage warms my heart. Thank you for sharing and I think I will have this song in my heart and head all day. Love you girl. Hugs, Lynn