Friday, December 10, 2010

7 Quick Takes (Volume 111)


1) Poor Ladies Man. If missing a week of school being sick isn't enough, yesterday he tore his hamstring in P.E. I've never seen the guy in more pain. Who knew a muscle injury could take a person out like that? He'll be on crutches at least a week.

While we were waiting in the Emergency Room, I got a call from Drama Queen, who'd heard the news at lunch.

Drama Queen: Is Ladies Man going to die or something? I heard he was ushered out of P.E. in a wheelchair. What's going on?

Me: We're waiting to find out. I'll let you know as soon as I know something.

Drama Queen: What's the matter with that kid? He's always got an issue.

Now that he's going to be okay, she's taken to calling him Gimp. He's on enough pain meds he doesn't care.

2)
We survived the run of "The Gift." It was a great experience. To be part of an amazing group of people with one purpose is a gift in itself. One of the cast members wrote about it on her own blog and captures it well. Click here to read her post.

And I want to thank the unsung heroes of the production, our directors.


These people put in countless hours. Paul spends the summer designing our set. His drawings are a work of art themselves. Linda spent weeks coming up with choreography. The two of them together dissected the script (making me sweat!) and worked tirelessly with the actors to bring home the story and message. They do everything from painting sets to choosing costumes to pulling raw emotion out of people and everything in between. This production is a direct result of their efforts and they never get a chance to be recognized. So let me do it today. Thank you Paul and Linda. Wonderful job!

3) Drama Queen was ready to leave, but waited on her little sister.

Drama Queen: Where is she?

Me: She's brushing her hair.

Drama Queen: Sheesh.

Miss Innocent One: I just need some socks.

Drama Queen: Oh brother.

Ladies Man: You got your shoes?

Miss Innocent One: Yes!

Drama Queen: Are you good now? You need anything else? You got it?

Miss Innocent One just looked at me and shook her head.

Drama Queen: You about ready Princess Dawdle?

And now she's trying to make the nickname P.D. stick. Miss Innocent One isn't crazy about it, but is being realistic.

Miss Innocent One: Like I have anything to say about it. You're going to call me whatever you want.

Can you tell she's used to being the youngest?

4) I heard someone whistling in the hall.

Me: Who is that?

Kevin: Drama Queen

Me: She's happy?!

Shall we say the tension between us at times reminds me God prepares people for the next step in life? Her good mood honestly surprised me. Drama Queen entered our room, indeed, whistling. Hmmm. Imagine.

Me: Why are you so happy?

Drama Queen (her eyebrows furrowed together): What kind of question is that?!

Now there's the Drama Queen I know.

5) We attended Drama Queen's madrigal feast last night. I don't understand why this girl has an aversion to pictures. She's beautiful! The first time I tried to snap a shot she snatched the camera out of my hand. This is the best I could do beforehand.


My first attempt at the feast.


One with her dad.


And finally a decent one with my girls.


6) Several girls in Ladies Man's class were servers at the madrigal feast. Whenever we encountered one, they'd ask.

How is Ladies Man?
Is he going to be okay?
Oh, tell him I hope he feels better soon.
Is Ladies Man all right?
Will he be at school?
Can he walk yet?
Will he be able to go to the party Saturday?
Tell him to take care of himself.
Tell him I said hi, okay?

"Oh sure," Miss Innocent One said, "All the GIRLS ask about him."

7) As we were getting ready for bed I asked Miss Innocent One if I should change her name on the blog to Princess Dawdle.

Miss Innocent One: NO!

Drama Queen: Just call her P.D.

Miss Innocent One: NO!

Me (to Drama Queen): See. I told you she hates that name.

Ladies Man: Yeah, she slapped me when I called her that last night.

Drama Queen: Hey P.D., don't slap Gimp.

Yeah. She thinks she's hysterical.


I hope you have a great weekend friends. Catch more Quick Takes at Conversion Diary.

1 comment:

Jaime Kubik said...

Good stuff...must remember names at Christmas!