Thursday, January 06, 2011

I Hate My Mirror


Stupid thing. All it shows is . . .

More gray.
More age spots.
More sag.
More wrinkles.

Aren't I getting too old to be vain? Shouldn't I be embracing my maturity, delighting in the joy of many good years? Bleh.

And why do I only do this to myself?

When I think about women older than me, I don't gravitate to their age spots or skin (unless I'm admiring the softness). I see the person, the way their eyes shine when they laugh or how the wrinkles around their mouth accentuate their smile. I appreciate their wisdom, their quiet strength which doesn't have to tell you what they've been through, their gentleness, their empathy, their warmth. I don't look at other women the way I look at myself. Why do I do it to me?

How can I be this old and still get caught in the vanity trap?

Stupid mirror? No. Stupid Tami.

2 comments:

Thou Art Jules said...

I do that too! I'm worse with photographs though oh goodness!
I saw an old friend from school Christmas night and thought "wow! She hasn't changed a bit!" I'm sure she looks in the mirror and thinks she has though.

Tami said...

Jules, I don't know anyone who DOESN'T scrutinize themselves in the mirror. You called that right.