Tuesday, January 04, 2011

No Substitute


Who has known the mind of the Lord?

Not me. I know generalities, like I'm supposed to be Christ-like and be filled with the Spirit and other requirements He gives to all His children. But when it comes to His specific will for my life, the daily what-is-the-best-thing, I'm not always sure.

I have an idea of who I'm supposed to be, but no clue how to get there or what path to take. Why does God make it so hard to discern our individual course? I seek His Word. I pray, sometimes over the same thing for years. YEARS. Yet I don't feel any closer to an answer than I was five years ago. Why does God keep our lives a mystery? Why doesn't He speak clearly? Why do we agonize over the right direction to go when He knows exactly what we should do?

When I ask God these sorts of questions, I always get the same answer.

Trust Me.

Sigh. That again?

“Faith is deliberate confidence in the character of God whose ways you may not understand at the time.”

~ by Oswald Chambers ~

There is no substitute for faith. God desires us to have it. Trust requires it. And faith is never more pure than when it believes despite what it does or doesn't see. Struggling through doubts force my hand, revealing where I place my confidence. Who needs God more, the one with all the answers or the one with all the questions? God may work in mysterious ways, but is it possible He does so to increase our faith as He keeps us coming in search of answers?

It's a deliberate choice. Will I believe He has it handled or not? I don't have to understand where I'm going. If I have total confidence in God, I don't need to know every step of the way.

Trust Me.

It's a gift, really. Learning to trust Him, especially in uncertainty, builds faith.

And without faith it is impossible to please God . . .

So though I don't particularly like being in the dark, I'll take it as His way of making me better, stronger, more faithful. I'll continue to bring my questions to Him and take the next step, believing He guides me.

I'll choose to have faith.

Will you?

Join our host Nina at Mama's Little Treasures for more thoughts on this quote.

5 comments:

Miriam Pauline said...

Well said! Learning to trust more and more has definitely deepened my faith (as well as shown me how much more I need to learn to trust). Such a circle of faith--trust--faith.

janet said...

It's a gift, really. Learning to trust Him, especially in uncertainty, builds faith.

This is soooooo very true! Thanks for sharing!

Jaime Kubik said...

I needed this this morning. Thank you my dear sister!

Karen said...

I get that same answer too, "Trust me." I told someone once I got into the "why me" struggle several times and I always got the same answer from God then, "Why not you." We need to trust that God is in control and He knows what He's doing.

Marsha Young said...

Faith is never more pure than when it trusts when it cannot see - excellent point. And, in fact, when we can already "see" then it is not "faith", really, is it?

Now "faith is the substance of things hoped for and evidence of things not seen." Hebrews 11:1 KJV

God is serious about this "trust me" thing. Good post! Marsha Y.