Tuesday, November 01, 2011

To Know Peace


I know when I'm due for some extended time with God. Life seems overwhelming. I feel confused, anxious, desperately wanting Him to explain everything. Or anything.

So I get up while it's still dark and shut my office door and close my eyes to the world. I listen. If I'm alone in the house, I sing, often through tears. I scour His word for something good, for something to hold onto.

Though there's no audible voice, no miraculous sign, no physical indication of His presence whatsoever, as I read or sing or cry or listen, an unexplainable calm sets in. I exhale slowly and my body relaxes.

Nothing about the problem, the circumstance, the issue changes. Nothing. There's no resolution. No quick fix. No amazing new insight, but the burden lifts slightly and I gain new strength for another day.

“We need to walk out of our worship time with God lighter than when we came in. Lighter because we left behind at the foot of the cross the things that needed to go. Left behind in preparation to learn and lean on the promises of God.”

Wayne Corderio
No fancy words from either of us. Honesty. Vulnerability. Stillness. Scriptural reminders of His goodness. These are the foundation of real communication with God, the measure of true worship. And the kicker is, He wants us to come.

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.

Matthew 11:28

Have you found rest in Him?

Join Karen at In Love W.I.T.H. Jesus for more interpretations of this quote.

1 comment:

Loni said...

LOVED LOVED LOVED this . . . what I need to do so much more often, then trying to control the situations myself.

Thank you for sharing your heart.