Monday, January 09, 2012

What to Do When Life Chips Away


I worry about my kids, money, disappointing others, getting it all done.

Schedules demand. Needs abound. Responsibilities pull. Illness strikes. My heart tugs with "I should"s, bringing exhaustion when I try and guilt when I don't.

Annoyances like broken cars and unfair criticism and freak accidents and disappointing glitches leave a crack, oozing out confidence and trust.

I fret over making a difference, not wanting to waste my time here on earth, leaving a legacy and pleasing God, and all the while the devil taunts, whispering in my ear that it's not enough.

I plug along, doing the next thing, but before long I find myself going through the motions, performing out of obligation and sheer perseverance.

Where is the joy?!

Come, all you who are thirsty, come to the waters . . .

Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good, and your soul will delight in the richest of fare.

Give ear and come to me; hear me, that your soul may live. I will make an everlasting covenant with you, my faithful love promised to David.

Seek the Lord while he may be found; call on him while he is near . . .

Let him turn to the Lord, and he will have mercy on him, and to our God, for he will freely pardon.

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,: declares the Lord.

You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace . . .

Isaiah 55:1-3,6-8, 12
(emphases mine)


Perhaps it's time to expend my energy in a different way.

Come.
Listen.
Hear.
Seek.
Call.
Turn.

All verbs. All action. All doing.

But all GOD focused. All a refuge from life and its accompanying drainers. All a way to hide away and recharge.

Is life chipping away at you? Do you wonder where your joy is?

Come. Listen. Hear. Seek. Call. Turn.

And you WILL go out in joy and be led forth in peace.



Photo Credit: Center for Invasive Species Research

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Come. Listen. Hear. Seek. Call. Turn.

Great reminder my friend. Little words that can have a great impact on all our lives.