Monday, July 09, 2012

What I've Been Doing This Summer

You may notice my posts have been more infrequent this summer. It's not that I'm dogging it or hating summer. After a rough start, I've very much enjoyed getting some down time. I've taken my sweet time each morning in my Bible and journal and prayer and have read some stirring, thought-provoking books. Basically I'm recharging.

And it feels good.

So good, that I thought you might like to take a look at these books too. (Clicking on the cover of a book will take you to more information about each title.)

I'm always feeling like I need to do more or be more, so this book immediately caught my eye. Seeing that it was written by popular Women of Faith speaker Marilyn Meberg made it irresistible. The whole time I read this book, I kept wishing I lived close enough to have this woman for a mentor. The message I came away with was something I already knew, but the reminder gave me a shot in the arm I needed.

This next book was a free e-book on Christianbook.com for a while and I snatched it up right away. Really interesting read.

I read All is Grace on our vacation to Okoboji and it stirred some confusion in me regarding grace versus obedience. Do not read this book if you don't want to visit that subject or tax your brain. I'm serious. I've been thinking about this book for weeks.

This next book is my favorite read of the summer. I probably highlighted half the stinkin' pages. I am a "good girl" who's always followed the rules. This author suggests those of us who fall in that camp may be looking to prove our worth to God. Ouch. Her message of freedom in Christ and acceptance of His grace is one any good girl will love to hear.

I actually read this last book earlier in the year, but it's generating a lot of buzz lately. If you haven't read this beautiful, beautiful book, do it. I see it becoming a Christian classic. I will be reading this one again. Soon.

I'd love to hear from anyone whose read any of these. If not, get busy, folks, so we can talk. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

No comments: