Friday, April 12, 2013

7 Quick Takes (Volume 231)



1) I found another fun word.

swivet: a state of nervous excitement, haste or anxiety; flutter

Another definition called it a fluster or panic.

Like, "Watch out! She's in a swivet."

I'm thinking this could be a useful word at our house. I can just imagine my kids whispering over breakfast, "Don't mess with Mom today. She's in a swivet." When Princess Dawdle's stressing about the homework she left at school I could add, "There's no sense getting in a swivet about it. There's nothing you can do now." Or at the dinner table when Kevin's had too much of their antics and starts looking irritated, one of them may shake their head and point a warning in a low voice, "Swivet . . ."

2) We enjoyed attending the Heartland Winter Arts Association Championships last Saturday. Drummer Boy was instructing two of the groups and wrote their shows. One of the shows was a piece a publisher just picked up and it was great to hear it performed. Here he is all official like in his tie.


Drama Queen has been helping instruct our local drum line too. Here she is afterwards with her boyfriend (the superb snare player), Ladies Man and his girlfriend.


Even Princess Dawdle got in on the action, taking some silly pics with her friend who is part of the group.



Goofy girls!


3) Last night's dinner conversation . . .

Drama Queen: We should start making bets on each others' kids. I bet one of Ladies Man's kids will have some form of ADD or ADHD.

Ladies Man: I bet one of Drama Queen's kids will slap her in the face before they are three years old.

Drama Queen: I bet one of Drummer Boy's kids will try to eat their poop.

Kevin: I bet one of Princess Dawdle's kids will forget to put on their pants.

Ladies Man: Dad, I bet one of your kids will be stupid . . .

You said it, child, not us.

4) Of course I really don't find my children stupid. Not even close. I know I'm partial, but I think all of them are very unique. The older they get, the more I appreciate them and understand how tied I am to them. It is really quite a miracle that these people who were once tiny infants totally reliant on me, who have challenged and exhausted me and made me very aware of my inadequacies, are now such amazing individuals. They are fun and creative. They aren't afraid to be who they really are. They communicate well with us and seem to value our opinion . . . WOW.

I know I'm their mom, and it's my job to love them, but I really like them too.

5) Apparently I'm not the only one who doesn't know how to use our camera yet. Get a load of these pictures Kevin took of Princess Dawdle at her honor band concert.




He did, however, redeem himself later with a picture of the two of us that I kinda like.


6) And now it's time again for Kevin's Korner!

Okay, so I was watching a little TV last night and landed on "Wife Swap." I can't imagine volunteering for this. It is obvious they pick two families who could not be more opposite of each other. This week was an almost military type family swapping with a family who are non-schoolers. That's right, not home schoolers but non-schoolers. They figure the children will learn from the world around them. As I think about our family's living situation it makes me think . . . what would be the total opposite of us? I guess being a family of musicians it would have to be an athletic family. I always joke that I was the last runner in P.E. and the only sport I could even begin to compete in was wrestling because in high school I was small and wiry and hard to pin. I didn't really grow until my junior year and I was done with P.E. after my sophomore year. I guess maybe the point of the show is to make you appreciate what you have and also be pushed to see things through a different set of eyes, but it seems there has to be a better way to do it. As I think about it, maybe they should have a "Kid Swap" show. Don't get me wrong, I would not trade my kids for any other kids in the world, but it could be VERY entertaining to watch another family react to the antics of the Boesiger kids!

Keep Kickin' It!


7) You'll never believe it, but Kevin wrote that before seeing anything that I wrote before. He had no idea he was totally going to fit in with the "Our kids are great" theme I've got going here. It just goes to show you we truly are "as one."

Or he's psychic, but I prefer the former.

And with that we'll call this puppy done. Enjoy your weekend, friends, and read more Quick Takes at Conversion Diary.

No comments: