Friday, April 19, 2013

7 Quick Takes (Volume 232)



1) I have a new system for determining my intelligence on any given day. Each morning I tackle the sudoku puzzle in the newspaper. On Mondays and Tuesdays it is a beginner puzzle. On Wednesdays and Thursdays it's an intermediate level and on Fridays and Saturdays it's advanced. If I can't finish Monday or Tuesday's puzzle I declare myself stupid for the day. If I can't finish Wednesday or Thursdays I still feel stupid, but not as bad as I would on a Monday or Tuesday. I figure I'm pretty good if I complete any of those day's puzzles, but if I can finish a Friday or Saturday one, I am definitely having a smart day.

I've decided taking the time to do this each morning gives my family a great public service. By 8:00 every morning, they are aware of what kind of brain I have for the day and can plan accordingly.

2) If you've read this blog at all in the last few months you've heard me go on and on about the owls in our neighborhood. We are just fascinated by them. We were especially excited when Ladies Man spotted this beauty sitting on the line between our house and the neighbor's.


Isn't it COOL?


Now do you see why we're so enamored?!

3) For some reason, Kevin's been drinking out of a cup my mom gave me for Easter, which Ladies Man finds quite comical.

Ladies Man: You like your flower cup, Nancy?

Kevin: What?!

Ladies Man (busting a gut): It's got flowers all over it!

Kevin: So?

Drama Queen quickly joined in.


Kevin (sounding like a hurt little boy): You guys are always mocking me.

4) We had the great pleasure of attending Drummer Boy's recital of his compositions this week. Here he explains one of the pieces to the audience.


The first selection was a male solo singing a four movement piece based on the book of Lamentations.


Drummer Boy played his Germinating Genesis drum piece with computer backup.


And then Kevin played a piano solo of three movements I'll let him tell you about in Kevin's Korner.

It was a good evening and we were proud of Drummer Boy's work.


5) And now here's Kevin's Korner!

As Tami told you, Drummer Boy had a recital this week. He asked me to play a piano piece he had written. It was a three movement work based on the crucifixion, death and resurrection of Christ. I was honored to perform it.


It was a little weird for me to play something my son wrote but I am proud of what he has accomplished. The emotion and depth of his music is great. I know I am his father, but I don't see this level of maturity in many young composers. It has been a while since I have been in the academic realm as a performer, and I have to say, I felt a little like a foreigner in a strange land. The music world is an interesting place. There are many different realms--the academic, the church, the stage and pop. Sometimes these worlds collide but for the most part they stay in their own designated areas. I have always been a musician who finds things from all the areas that I really like and enjoy. Oh why can't we all just get along and live in harmony (pun intended)? I have very good friends that are fellow musicians in all these areas and I often think, how do they view what I do? But let's be real here people, it is rather egocentric of me to think they are even thinking about what I do. Most assumptions we make about what others think I am sure are untrue. So the moral to the story. Be who you are and enjoy every opportunity God gives you. The point is not to feel comfortable in every situation but to glorify God in every situation you find yourself. So thanks, Drummer Boy, for giving me the privilege of playing your beautiful piece about Christ but more importantly… thanks for the opportunity you gave me to worship God and glorify Christ with your music!

Keep Kicking it!


6) I decided it would be fun to have a little reception following the recital and tried my hand at making dessert bites. I made brownie bites, strawberry swirl cheesecake bites and mini lemon cupcakes. Though there was some kidding around about me and my excitement over my "cute desserts", I think the time invested was well worth it. Am I right? Aren't they cute?


7) We end today with an episode of Silly Adventures in the Boesiger House.

Kevin: Oh no, my button just dropped in the toilet and I already went.

Princess Dawdle: (laughing her head off): Gonna have to go after it, Bucky!

Kevin: No. I am NOT doing that. I just need something to hold it while I flush.

Me: That is not going stay in place while you flush.

Kevin: It most certainly will.

Me: No way.

Meanwhile Princess Dawdle is laughing so hard she's holding her sides.

Kevin (running out of the bathroom): I got this. Just a minute.

Me (inspecting the situation): Good grief. You're just gonna have to suck it up and get it. It's not that big of a deal.

Kevin (returning with a mangled wire hanger): I'm not sticking my hand in there.

Me: That is not going to work.

Determined to prove me wrong, he sticks the wire in the toilet and manages to pull the button out of the "liquid" to a place where he can pick it up.

Me: You still had to touch it!

Kevin: Yeah, but I didn't have to stick my whole hand in there.

Princess Dawdle is doubled over in the kitchen, hardly able to catch her breath.

Kevin: What?

Princess Dawdle: You are so funny, Dad!

Kevin: Why am I constantly mocked?!

Why do I think of Drama Queen every time he says that?

Never a dull moment around here, folks! I'm looking forward to a fun weekend too. We'll watch Ladies Man perform at District Music Contest today, attend Drummer Boy's Percussion Ensemble concert Saturday and I'm planning to meet a blogging friend from California on Sunday. Super fun times. I hope your weekend is enjoyable too. Start it off right by reading more Quick Takes at Conversion Diary.

No comments: