Sunday, June 09, 2013

Heroes


One line of the video hit me:

Heroes are made because they are moved . . .

I've never thought of myself as a hero. Does anybody? I spend a lot of my life feeling pretty puny. Yet in the last week, I've had a lot of people, and I mean A LOT, give me good wishes regarding my trip to Uganda, people I know well and some I've never had a conversation with. Some have said things about me I don't understand. They talk about being obedient and ministering to others and having a servant's heart and being a blessing. I thank them and listen, but inside I'm shaking my head. I'm thinking I'm nothing special. Really. I only said YES. There's nothing heroic or extraordinary about that. I said YES. Period.

But when I heard that line in church in Greeley, Colorado this morning, I was stirred. Is it possible for ordinary people like you and me to be heroes?! Are tender hearts the only qualification? Are the people who seek God and listen for His voice and love where they live, are they the real heroes? Does He stamp an invisible S on the chests of those who just say YES?

If so, being a hero is easy. We listen to our hearts. We don't shy away from God's nudges. We love and live in response to Almighty God. It doesn't take a trip to Africa. It takes an open spirit, willing to do whatever He asks.

Heroes are made because they are moved . . .

How is God moving YOU to be a hero?

2 comments:

Miriam Pauline said...

Smiling that God is already teaching you something new and you haven't even reached your destination yet.

I love this line. I hope that I allow God to move me to act and say yes. Sometimes that may be heroic. Maybe not always.

I do think that what you are doing has heroic potential to change lives (yours, your friends, mine, those you meet and minster to). Thanks for sharing your journey with us. Praying.

Tami said...

You make me smile, MiPa. Do you suppose anyone who follows God's voice is a hero?