Friday, August 02, 2013

7 Quick Takes (Volume 245)--The Kleenex Edition



I spent a lot of time crying this week. My dear friend, Amanda, moved away and while I keep telling myself the woman isn't dead, my heart must not be getting the message. That girl got into my soul, I tell you. I know we'll be connected forever, but not being able to bop over to her house whenever I want is a huge loss in my life.

It's one of those times I don't understand what God is thinking. Neither of us was looking for a friend when our relationship sparked and now I can't live without her. Why would God give what I did not ask for and then when I got totally invested, take it away? I don't know, but as the song goes, "My heart will choose to say, Lord, blessed be your name."

(I love you, Amanda, and miss you SO much.)


Yesterday I spent the afternoon shopping with Drama Queen for things she'll need when she moves back to Lincoln in a week or so. I loved hanging out with her and we use the same reasoning when making purchases which is fun, but it reminded me she's leaving soon too. This is one of the hazards of having older children. They're in for a while, out for a while, playing yo-yo with your emotions.

I have to keep reminding myself I am super proud of her and excited to see what's in store for her life. She is an amazing woman. I often wish I were more like her.


And then I have another child becoming a senior in high school. We're about to start Ladies Man's year of lasts and the accompanying stress of guiding him where to go and what to do. I face another break-your-heart day as we move him out in a year. One less plate at the table again . . .

Good grief this is depressing!!!! How about I post the first picture of his senior year? (Thanks to my lovely friend, Edie, for her patience and determination in getting a good shot!) Yep, that's my kid. Isn't he cute?



Let's talk about something happier, shall we? My kids have participated in Band Camp this week. Drummer Boy helped with the drum line kids. Ladies Man is the senior drum major and Princess Dawdle is having her first go around in marching band as a freshman. (Uh oh, another thing to be sad about. My baby is now in high school. How did I get this old?) Drama Queen went over to help on her day off too, proving we indeed are a family of band geeks.

All of them praise our new band director. I'm anxious to see them in action at tonight's exhibition. 7:30 at the high school in the football stadium, if anybody's interested.


I was super excited when a friend from Uganda posted this picture of us on Facebook. Sam was one of the young Ugandan men who traveled with us and I found him to be intelligent and a deep thinker, qualities I adore in a person. He's also charming as you can see.


I don't know what it is about the pictures from Uganda. They just get to me. Every time I look at them I am stirred and I can't put my finger on what it is. Maybe they symbolize God's great gift to me in that trip. I'm not sure. I hope that feeling doesn't fade though. I find it bleeds over into other areas of my life. If God can get me through a trip all the way to Africa, he can get me through anything. Mmmmm . . . God is good.


A friend of Princess Dawdle took this sweet picture of her on missions trip last week.


Both she and Ladies Man came back with all kinds of stories and a renewed sense of their need for God. I pray it sticks with them too. All of my kids have experienced this trip now and each one would call it the highlight of their summer. Thanks to our awesome youth leaders, Sam and Becca, for making it happen.


I'm looking forward to a Saturday at home this weekend. I've got TONS of writing to do on our Christmas musical (prayers are most appreciated!). My house is a mess (from ignoring it for the said Christmas musical) and I haven't done laundry since Monday. It will be busy, but there's something about being able to stay put at home that makes my spirit sigh.

I hope you have a relaxing or productive or whatever kind of weekend you long for too and take some time for more Quick Takes at Conversion Diary!

No comments: