Friday, April 18, 2014

7 Quick Takes (Volume 273)







We're leaving the grocery store, when I ask Princess Dawdle to grab the bags. I'm surprised when I turn back to make sure she got them.

Me: Two bags? All that stuff fit into two bags?

Princess Dawdle: Yeah, Mom, we're thugging it up.

Does anyone have any idea what that means?!






Toilet paper.

Does anyone else have a terrible time getting their family to change the stupid toilet paper roll? I can't tell you the number of times there's an empty cardboard on the toilet paper holder and another roll sitting on the back of the toilet. I've demonstrated OFTEN (and always with the most sunshiny attitude, of course), yet the art of changing the roll escapes my children.

Me: No one ever changes the toilet paper at our house.

Princess Dawdle: Not true. I change it sometimes.

Me: Really? I don't believe that. Every time I sit down on a toilet in this house, there's an empty roll.

Princess Dawdle: I have, Mom. It's my humungous humility that just didn't talk about the two times I changed the toilet paper roll. I didn't want to make anyone else feel bad.

Oh brother.






The whole exchange reminded me of my teaching years. I had a kid who rarely turned in an assignment. One time he actually got it done on time and wanted me to praise him for it. When I didn't oblige him, reminding him even the kids who turned in homework every day didn't get any happy clappy from me, he took the time to write out the whole parable of the prodigal son (time that would have been better spent doing the next day's homework, ahem!). I taught at a Christian school, so he was appealing to my spirituality, I guess. He added a little message at the end meant to chide me for my spiritual immaturity (GRRRRRR!). Poor guy didn't know I always felt sorry for the older brother in that story. Plus, I didn't appreciate some smart aleck teenager trying to tell me I was being unspiritual for accepting his rare piece of homework without fanfare.

I don't know where that kid is today, but I'd still like to smack him.






If you're at all squeamish, skip over this Quick Take. Really. This picture's a little sick.

Ladies Man got some new shoes and said his toe was bothering him at the end of the day. When he took off his sock he found this.


You know what had to be done, right? I am a picker extraordinaire. I had to get a poke at that thing! I didn't want it to pop completely and make it really sore, so I made a pinhole with a safety pin and squeezed some of the blood out of that puppy. It was a little anticlimactic as not much stuff came out. Boo.

Some of you are still completely grossed out by the picture, aren't you? I assure you the smell of his feet was the worst part!






They say you know you live in Nebraska when the weather changes dramatically. Last Saturday the temperature was nearly 80 degrees and on Sunday there was a snowstorm that snowed me in at a friend's house in the southwestern part of the state. On APRIL 13th! Their school even had a late start on Monday! As it snowed I kept saying, "Oh, I'm not worried, it never sticks this time of year" but then it started sticking to the grass, and then it started collecting on the deck, and the wind blew and the roads were icky and everything got cancelled.

Is the greenhouse effect really a concern?!






It's been a sad week. A dear aunt of mine died on Sunday. We spent so much time at her house growing up it almost felt like losing my grandma all over again. She was 85 and had cancer and people kept saying, "It's a blessing."

I know it should be. My head understands the suffering is over. It is a blessing for the person who gets to move on to heaven, but for those left behind . . .

It doesn't seem like a blessing. For those left behind it's a hole. A great big hole that never really gets filled. There's an empty place at the table. That laugh and those silly phrases will never be heard again. The world will go on, but we will miss her. And things won't seem quite right without her, but we're all supposed to go on as if they are. Sigh. Death is hard.

I love you, Aunt Jeannie. And will miss you so much.






Praise be to God, though, that He provided a way for us to be united in heaven! I can celebrate Easter this weekend knowing He has defeated death. I can be joined again with those who've beat me to heaven. Jesus' death and resurrection gives me hope.

Because He lives I can face tomorrow.
Because He lives all fear is gone.
Because I know He holds the future.
And life is worth the living just because He lives.

Sing loud and long this weekend, friends. KNOW you can have victory in every situation. This life is not all there is! Praise the Lord!



I pray you grasp this amazing gift this Easter Sunday, friends. I don't know how I'd do life without it. Enjoy your weekend and read more Quick Takes at Conversion Diary.

No comments: