Friday, July 25, 2014

7 Quick Takes (Volume 285)







Thanks to the few brave people who responded to my post on needs and God not being American with either an email or comment. (The rest of you get an emphatic PSHHHTTTT!)

This line from a friend made me ponder a bit--" . . . there is a line between having faith that God will provide and expecting Him to do so." One man wrote, "God doesn't hate wealth or the wealthy" which I thought was a good distinction to make since there are committed, wealthy Christians who know how to use their money to God's good.

Another woman proposed that God does not change and therefore His ideas about needs don't either. I can buy that, but found myself thinking it doesn't mean He relates to all people the same way. A crude example would be a diabetic who NEEDS extra insulin. God would supply that need, but that doesn't mean He'll give ME insulin. God hasn't changed, but relates to people individually.

A couple of people suggested God only promises to supply the BASICS, like food, clothing and shelter. Another said "God supplies OUR needs," again driving home the fact that God makes personal calls for individuals.

Matthew 6 talks extensively about God meeting our needs, and specifically addresses basic needs like food and clothing (See Matthew 6:31-32). But in verses 7 and 8 I see that personal, individual element again. Jesus said, "And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him."

If He knows what I need before I ask, He is intimately aware of me, right? And if He's intimately aware of me, He knows what I lack which may not be what you lack and therefore is a need for me but not you. (Did you get any of that?)

I suppose the best way to say it is the way this reader did: "He will provide what you need to fulfill the purposes He has for you." That will mean different things for different people. This reader added, "if He wants you to witness to Donald Trump He might give you millions! :)"

I've settled with the idea that needs ARE subjective. Our basic needs are the same, but what I need is different than what you need and since God is a personal God, we can rely on Him to meet our distinct, individual needs beyond the basics. He knows what they are more than we do according to Matthew 6:7-8. When I wonder whether a want is truly a need I can ask Him for it and let Him decide if it is a necessity.

Clear as mud?






Ladies Man and Princess Dawdle have been gone all week on a missions trip. It's been awfully quiet around our house. Drama Queen has been here, but she's working. At first we were like PARTY TIME!, but now we kinda miss those boogers. They come home tomorrow. YAY!

But one advantage to having kids gone is the little cleaning that needs to take place as a result. Shoes aren't scattered all over the kitchen. No books or electronics are left laying around in the living room. I've saved money on groceries and don't have as much laundry.

But still . . . they're not here . . . sniff. How in the world will I have enough material for the Quick Takes?!






My mother-in-law gave me some furniture polish. It does a remarkable job of bringing out the beauty in the wood and even seems to repel dust. My only problem is it has no smell. Nothing! I have a hard enough time mustering up the oomph to actually clean, but when my house doesn't smell clean after I've exerted the effort, well, it just doesn't seem worth it, you know? I want to walk in the door and smell the clean and therefore have proof of my work.

Ugh. Now I have a new dilemma. Do I go for beauty and cleanliness or for the impression of clean in the aroma?

Yeah. I have a hard life.






Nothing says you're old like, "You're due for a colonoscopy." Guess who got to hear those words this week? Yeah. Ick.






Can anyone tell me where the term "pair of pants" comes from? It doesn't really make sense to me. Yes, it is a pair of pant legs, but they're not separate. You can't buy one pant leg. You have to buy the whole thing which is really just one article of clothing so why do we call it a PAIR?






I've been making a lot of guacamole at home lately and Drama Queen and Ladies Man asked if I could get them the same tools I have so they can make it themselves when they move to college. I was happy to oblige, but got to wondering if maybe Drummer Boy might want them too. He's the quintessential bachelor who eats one meal a day and Drama Queen thinks he subsists on fast food, never ever cooks and could care less about making his own guacamole, but I decided to ask him to be sure.

Drummer Boy (in pure DUH tone): Yeah! I'd like that. I'm trying to eat more organic.

Which is super funny since the first thing we saw when stopping at his apartment was a box of Captain Crunch, but I'm taking him at his word.

I already got your avocado slicer, Drummer Boy. Prepare to show your sister what you can do!






Soon the migration of my peeps will begin. Sigh. We already moved Drama Queen into her new place with my mom, though she won't actually live there for a couple weeks. Princess Dawdle starts school August 13th and we move Ladies Man to college on August 21st. I'm starting to think my house is going to be this quiet all the time. Princess Dawdle will still be here, but she's been known to disappear into her bedroom for hours at a time.

We're seeing a big change on our horizon and it's weird. Not terrible. Just weird. I've spent nearly a quarter of a century with kids (and LOTS of them) in my house. I've had more noise than I ever thought I could tolerate and now it's crickets and stillness. Again, not terrible. Just different. It's gonna take some getting used to.

So, come home and see us, my darling children! Don't let your mother become a cat lady.

(And if you've read this far, you're begging them to give me some fodder for these weekly updates too, aren't you? Kids, my readers need you. OBVIOUSLY.)



And that's all I got today, folks. Enjoy your weekend and read more Quick Takes at Conversion Diary.



1 comment:

jen said...

You mention being a cat lady like it's a bad thing!