Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Pursuing Beauty in His Lap



I see the beautiful women and sigh, wondering if I'll ever be all that. I know I am more than the shell of my body, but cultural influences take a toll on me, deceiving me into thinking a beautiful inside is not enough.

"But remember, for all your adult life you'll be a woman. And how you live your life as a woman, all by yourself before God, is what makes the real you. Nothing on the exterior can touch or change that precious inner sanctuary, your heart, his dwelling place unless you let it. And God, who loves you very much has tailor made all your outer life, your circumstances, your relationships, to pressure you into becoming that beautiful woman he's planned for you to be."

~ Anne Ortlund ~


Nothing escapes God. Nothing in my life has happened by chance. Even my life long struggle with body image is no mistake. It serves His purpose. For when I feel inferior physically, who do I run to? Where do I seek validation when I don't get it from an image conscious society? If I felt I measured up, would I find myself in Jesus' lap so often? And if I wasn't in His lap so often, could I ever find true beauty?

Lord, forgive my superficiality. Remove the scales from my eyes. Grow me up into YOUR image of a truly beautiful woman.

For more impressions of this quote, visit Extravagant Grace.

17 comments:

Brenda said...

So well said Tami. I am finding as I get older that what little physical qualities I had that were ok are going to pot. I need to dwell more on God's beauty and work on developing it in me.

Heather said...

So true Tami - it is because of our struggles that we turn to Jesus and that's where He transforms us into His woman. He has us just where He wants us!

twinklemom said...

I am woman, here me pray?

Sigh...why don't we hear that more often than roars? Lol.

What a beautiful post and it's difficult when competing with society's "standards" of what they think a woman is...Thank heavens though we have a loving Father who already knows what His plans and wants is for us!

ellen b. said...

Amen and amen. May God fill you with His joy and beauty today!

Denise said...

Blessings upon your beautiful heart dear.

Anonymous said...

God bless you. It is so true how our culture seems to value us by our physical appearance. I recently read an article in which Qualtrics a respected survey company found that 56% of Americans feel that they are obese. The numbers aren't even close to that. It's clear that we are not alone. I am so grateful that I know that God doesn't care about that.

Lisa said...

Tami, what an honest response to this quote--one that reveals your tender heart, which is truly beautiful. Thanks for taking the time share. May you be encouraged today by other women responding the same way to the Lord!

Blessings,
Elisa

Susannah said...

Anne Ortlund is a favorite author of mine. She wrote the classic, Disciplines of the Beautiful Woman. She has aged with grace and dignity. I think it's the sparkle in a woman's eyes that makes her attractive--at any age!

Susan said...

Great thoughts Tami!

Oh, and congrats on you award! I truly enjoy coming here daily!

Blessings to you my friend.

Rachelle said...

Love the new look!!!!!!! How'd you do that?????

Brenda said...

Your new look is classy. Now I'll have to get dressed up to come here!

Rachelle said...

That Brenda, she's a funny one!

Brenda said...

Rachelle, I was going to be a smar alec (sp?) but decided not too. You go into "template" and pick the template and then insert a picture into the heading. Then you can pick which layout you want too. Also the colors of the font and types. I think it is all under "customize".

Anonymous said...

beautiful :)

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more with what you said. I am constantly looking in the mirror and disappointed at what I see. I realize that God does not look at outward appearances....why is this something I can't let go of? I do want so badly for my insides to be beautiful too...guts and all! Thank you for helping me realize, yet again, it is our hearts that he is most concerned about being beautiful! LOVED your blog! (And the new look too!)

Aunt Angie said...

Tami---I love the new look! "The lap of the Lord"....is a good place to be. His comfort is the strength that keeps me going!
You are a blessing girl!

Kelly said...

Wonderful thoughts!