Monday, June 29, 2009

Learning from Michael



Somewhere in the cavernous dumping grounds I call my basement, there is a Thriller cassette, but I wouldn't say I'm a huge Michael Jackson fan. I've watched his strange transformation over the years with sympathy really, feeling sorry for the pressure he's endured which shaped his bizarre behavior. His was not a normal life.

No matter what you think of him, you have to give the guy credit for being an amazing artist. Eccentric? Yes. Tormented? Yes. Odd? Yes. Gifted? Absolutely YES!

I've watched some of the coverage surrounding his death and am continually impressed with the way the guy could sing as a child. His evolving dance moves were stunning. His ability to meld the singing and dancing together flawlessly was remarkable. There is no denying he was special.

And I am reminded of Jesus' words: "From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked."

Much was given to Michael Jackson, requiring so much of him. His tremendous talent evoked the interest of Satan, who took every opportunity to plague the guy. I imagine his days full of taunting voices, like walking down a prison hallway, with toothless grins of grimy, crazy people reaching out through the bars for him. No wonder he struggled.

Where was God? I can't imagine God gifting someone like that without making Himself seen. There had to be glimpses of Him before Michael's eyes, didn't there? Were the forces of evil that appealing, convincing Michael he didn't need a loving God? Or were they completely distracting?

Honestly, my heart hurts for Michael Jackson and the countless other artists, musicians, actors and writers, who have succumbed to the weight of their astounding abilities. The power of Satan is strong, my friends, so strong.

What does it mean for us? Each of us is uniquely created. We may not be Michael Jackson, but we are equipped with specific gifts. What happens to us if we listen to the tempting voices to do it our own way and ignore God's leading and direction? Will we slowly become tormented souls whose creative brilliance never reaches its full potential as God intended?

It makes me shudder. I don't want to fall prey to the devil's schemes. What about you?



Jesus' words quoted from Luke 12:48.

Photo credit: manfrys

No comments: