Thursday, July 29, 2010

What is Required?


I am overwhelmed by God's goodness.

Why do His blessings overflow to this very ordinary human, this imperfect, struggling woman? Who am I to deserve His benevolence? Moving beyond my astonishment, I wonder one thing.

What do His blessings require of me?

Jesus clearly states, "When someone has been given much, much will be required in return; and when someone has been entrusted with much, even more will be required." So what is my responsibility? What does He expect from me in return? How do I respond appropriately to His goodness?

What can we bring to the Lord? What kind of offerings should we give him? Should we bow before God with offerings of yearling calves? Should we offer him thousands of rams and ten thousand rivers of olive oil? Should we sacrifice our firstborn children to pay for our sins? No, O people, the Lord has told you what is good, and this is what he requires of you: to do what is right, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Micah 6:6-8

Lord, I recognize Your great goodness to me and I overflow with gratitude. There is no way to repay Your mercy. Enable me to do what is right, to take Your truth and abide by it. Help me see others and love them as You do. May I always recognize my need and dependence on You. If much is required of me, give me the energy, the motivation, the courage to complete Your will. To You alone be the glory.



Photo Credit: prayerfriends

No comments: