Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Hope Really Does Float



I'd love to be a writer, a real writer who makes money crafting thoughts and emotions on the page. But I'm not. I work hard at it. I spend a lot of time at it, more time than seems warranted since it doesn't pay off financially. With changes in the market due to electronic publishing and the advent of the Kindle and iPad, the odds of getting a book published get slimmer every day. Daunting. The competition is fierce. Publishing houses are dwindling and becoming more selective. It seems impossible.

Yet God nudges my spirit. He causes me to will and to act. He brings the words, the energy, the motivation. He dares me to hope for the impossible.

“Oh, remember this: There is never a time when we may not hope in God. Whatever our necessities, however great our difficulties, and though to all appearance help is impossible, yet our business is to hope in God, and it will be found that it is not in vain.”

~ George Muller, quoted in ~
The Roller Coaster of Unemployment: Trusting God for the Ride
by Sarah M. Hupp

He whispers gently.

He who began a good work in you will be faithful to complete it.

He reminds me of Abraham saying, Yet he did not waver through unbelief regarding the promise of God, but was strengthened in his faith and gave glory to God, being fully persuaded that God had power to do what he had promised. This is why "it was credited to him as righteousness."

Maybe the extent of my writing career will be the words I write here for my adoring fans (please tell me you're adoring fans, or at least humor me by smiling and nodding politely). He has a perfect plan and I will follow it. But whether or not I "arrive" in the publishing world, my hope has not been in vain.

For in hoping, I'm looking for God, expecting Him to work. I'm living a child-like faith He desires. I'm gaining strength to get through each day. Hope holds me up. Hope moves me forward. God has the power to do anything, but even if He decides not to, hope serves me well, keeping my boat afloat, teaching me reliance on the only One who can make the impossible possible.

Hope grows faith and trust.

For more impressions of this quote, visit Nina at Mama's Little Treasures.

5 comments:

Jaime Kubik said...

I needed these words this morning! I like what you said...hope grows faith and trust. I'm gonna have to remind myself of that.

Your adoring fan....Jaime

Karen said...

I love it. I like the fact that hope is what moves us forward. What's ahead we don't know but forward is a good direction.

Adoring fan #2....Karen

Anonymous said...

You never cease to amaze me! I love your fortitude and desire to do what God wants.

Adoring husband #1 and only...

Denise J. Hughes said...

Yes, I'm an adoring fan. You are a great writer. I will be so pleased and overjoyed when I get to someday say, "I 'knew' you when." :)

I really like your application of this quote. As a fellow "non-published-writer" I know what you mean. The possibilities seem slimmer and slimmer - which is about the only thing slimmer in my life! :)

DJ

Marsha Young said...

Tami,
You used one of my very favorite verses in your post - Php. 1:6, - and thank goodness we can trust Him to finish what He has begun in us.

I don't know you well enough, yet, to be an adoring fan, but I like your style. :) Thanks for stopping by Spots and Wrinkles today. ....Marsha Y.