Wednesday, March 07, 2012

A Reason to Do It Anyway


When words are many, sin is not absent, but he who holds his tongue is wise.

Proverbs 10:19
This is not good news for a blogger. Or a Bible study leader. Or someone who aspires to be a writer and occasionally finds herself standing before others telling her story.

When words are many, sin is not absent.

Yikes.

My very next word has the potential to sin, to damage, to destroy. And I put words out there for all the world to see? What's the matter with me?! Am I asking for trouble?

I consider myself a pretty NON-confrontational type of person. I don't like to ruffle feathers. Criticism or disagreement get to me. I'm not one to stir up trouble, at least not on purpose.

So why do I do this? Why does this people pleasing introvert subject herself to possible sin and scorn?

I just can't help it. These thoughts whir and stir and I figure if I'm feeling a certain way, I can't be the only one. I take to heart Paul's words in 2 Corinthians that tell us to comfort others with the comfort we have received from God. I tell myself no one cares what I think, but God says, "Do it," so I do. I hope I don't sound stupid and often feel the work is "hack," but I'm learning to trust Him to make good of it.

I see myself as one of the stones Jesus referred to.
“I tell you,” he replied, “if they keep quiet, the stones will cry out.”

Luke 19:40
I have to cry out. Everything in me wants others to know.

So I'll take a deep breath each time my fingers hit the keyboard. I'll pray like crazy for divine inspiration and guidance and protection. I'll take the risk and work through the blather and do what God says to do.

It's my reason to do it anyway.

What do you do simply because God tells you to do it?


Photo Credit: Biappi

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

I, for one, am *so* glad you choose share!!