Friday, October 25, 2013

7 Quick Takes (Volume 256)



Princess Dawdle got her learner's permit in August. I wish I could say I was one of those cool moms who is super chill about it, but I can't. That would be a big fat lie. Since one of our last adventures ended with her in tears and me feeling completely frazzled, Kevin said he'd take over the driving lessons. I haven't ridden with her in weeks and I wasn't too upset about it, if you know what I mean.

But last weekend we were riding home from Lincoln alone and she asked if she could drive. We had been gone all day. I was tired and not sure I had it in me to handle the emotional stress. Plus I've never seen her drive over 35. She pressed me by pointing out the highway is a straight shot and it was late enough that there weren't any cars to worry about hitting. Her cuteness wore me down and I hate driving so I pulled over and switched seats. Princess Dawdle knew my apprehension.

Princess Dawdle: Don't freak out, Mom. This is trust building.

Mmmm hmmm. Says the inexperienced person behind the wheel. But she must be learning something in her driving lessons with her dad, because she didn't do too bad. My blood pressure stayed normal until we got closer to town.

Me: Now, eventually you're gonna want to be in the left lane. You can change here or later, but there may be more traffic once we get into town.

My daughter stole a glance in the side mirror, checked her blind spot and moseyed into the left lane.

Princess Dawdle: Look at us, Mom. We changed lanes with no tears shed.

I'm not sure who she was more proud of--me or herself.


I had a proud moment myself when Ladies Man and Princess Dawdle sang together at the high school's pop concert. They did a super job.



I've been taking a psychology and counseling class and learning all kinds of interesting tidbits. For instance, did you know that biting on a pencil engages your facial muscles which simulate smiling? Sustaining that position for a period of time can actually lift your mood.

So next time you're feeling down, just bite on a pencil til you feel better!


Tuesday brought a Beatrice Regional Orchestra concert. Usually I'm in the group, but other commitments have prevented it this fall (see #3). It was fun to sit back in the audience and hear how the orchestra really sounds. Nice work, friends!

An added plus was Drummer Boy and Ladies Man playing in the orchestra. All my guys on stage together. I liked it. If only I could snap better pictures. Grr. Here's the best one I got. Notice Drummer Boy in the background mesmerized by his father's comments (or something like that).


(This is why I always give Kevin the camera or steal photos from Facebook. Pssht.)


When the orchestra concert was over, Kevin asked Ladies Man to get the ladder and take down the banner attached at the back of the stage. Because she teases her brother about being a giant, Drama Queen had a better idea.




Goofy kids.


Ladies Man had his senior pictures taken yesterday and had a great time. Thank you, Kathryn, for humoring him and taking some wonderful pics. I love these sneak peeks. I can't wait to see them all.







We've got lots of activity this weekend. We're taking Ladies Man on another college visit today. There's the last home football game of the season tonight. Tomorrow the kids have their final marching band competition. We're excited that the group Drummer Boy's been working with will be performing shortly after our band. But we'll miss Drama Queen as she's headed to Minnesota with the Cornhusker Marching Band.

And hey, if you think of it, pray for my warmth. Spending two evenings in a row outside is sure to keep me shivering all weekend. Brrrrr.


And that's all for today, folks. Take in more Quick Takes at Conversion Diary!.

No comments: