Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Seeing the Good on Earth

Hourglass

Do you get impatient? Have you prayed for years for the same thing only to see no progress? Does it wear you down?

I am easily discouraged. I want an easy life, free from worry or fear (By the way, God offers us this if we trust Him, but sometimes that's a tall order, isn't it?). I want my prayers answered in a way I can see. I want miracles and prosperity. I don't feel cut out for the hard stuff.

But God is a God of waiting. Abraham and Sarah waited until their old age to have a son. Jacob worked 14 years for his beloved Rachel. Joseph waited decades before his dream of his brothers bowing before him came to reality. When we can't see how it will possibly work out, waiting forces us to trust.

David was familiar with waiting on God. After his anointing, he waited years to take the throne. Yet while he was running from those wishing to take his life, he penned these words.

Yet I am confident I will see the Lord’s goodness
while I am here in the land of the living.

Wait patiently for the Lord.
Be brave and courageous.
Yes, wait patiently for the Lord.

Psalm 27:13-14 (NLT)

Do you see it? He says I will see the Lord's goodness. Here. In the land of the living. As in on earth. I will see God's goodness in my earthly lifetime.

I've had many discussions about how God works and makes good of everything. Often those discussions end with the acknowledgement that our prayers may not be answered until heaven. We are promised good in heaven.

But David says, "I am confident I will see the Lord's goodness while I am here in the land of the living." (emphasis mine)

Is this a promise to see God's goodness here on earth? Does it mean I don't have to wait for heaven?

I think so.

But don't misunderstand me. God's goodness may not be solving the problem. God's goodness may be painful. I might miss God's goodness because it doesn't resemble what I expect. Do I overlook it because I'm short-sighted? Have I covered it with hurt and disappointment? Am I looking with human eyes? Am I looking for it at all?

If God is good, and He is, there must be good in any bad. There must be purpose and glimpses of His touch. There must be a perfect plan in place. If we look hard enough for His goodness, will we find it? If we ask to see it, will He show us?

I will see the Lord's goodness while I am here in the land of the living.

Mmmmm. I like that idea. It makes me feel like a child waiting for the surprise. And just like any kid, I have a hard time waiting. God knows us well for He adds an admonition about waiting. Wait patiently for the Lord. Be brave and courageous. It might get tough. We might want to give up, but we're to hang on with courage. If we just wait long enough, we will see His goodness.

That's enough for me. I'll ask for better eyesight and put on my big girl panties and wait for the goodness of the Lord.

I will see the Lord's goodness while I am here in the land of the living.



Photo Credit: Jamie

No comments: