Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Duplicity


duplicitous: marked by duplicity : deceptive in words or action

duplicity: 1 : contradictory doubleness of thought, speech, or action; especially : the belying of one's true intentions by deceptive words or action 2 : the quality or state of being double or twofold

Duplicity according to Tami: Saying one thing and doing another.

I'm guilty. Some might say I'm duplicitous on this blog, only sharing positive stories of my family, creating a rosy picture for all to admire when there's plenty of ugly that goes on in my house too. I wax poetic about God's blessings in my life, then complain to my husband. One of my kids says something out of line to their sibling and instead of dealing with it as I should, I make a quick parental sounding remark and turn away in weariness. I tell God I'm His girl, then get frustrated following His plan. I say I want to point people to Him, yet try to gain recognition for myself.

When I want to do good, evil is right there with me.

"No one man, for any considerable period, can wear one face to himself, and another to the multitude, without finally getting bewildered as to which may be the true."

Nathaniel Hawthorne

I confuse myself. I don't set out to be deceptive. I don't mean to slide into duplicitous behavior. Why do I cultivate bad habits and let my attitudes slide in the privacy of my own home? How will I put the old self behind if I hang onto it? How will I ever win this battle between flesh and Spirit?

What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death?

No wonder I spin my wheels. I try to live for Him while I'm living for me. I am duplicity personified. I leave a bad taste in my own mouth. How can I escape myself? How can I be what I should be for Him, what He deserves? How can I be a true servant? How can I learn to be selfless?

Thanks be to God—through Jesus Christ our Lord!

Only HE can make me single-minded. Only HE can purify my dirty heart. Only HE can make me pure and righteous. Only HE can clean up my duplicitous ways.

Make it so Lord. Make me into YOUR image of me, not mine.

Create in me a pure heart, O God . . .

Psalm 51:10



What do you think? Join us! Write your own post and link it up with the In "Other" Words gang here:





Photo Credit: The Doctr

3 comments:

Miriam Pauline said...

Yes! I don't intend to be deceptive, but I so easily slide into it. Trying to be what I claim to be, and then losing the plot at home. Only by God's grace will I become what I was intended to be. Great quote to remind me of that this week. Blessings my friend.

Karen said...

Guilty as charged, I think we can all plead guilty to the charge of saying one thing and doing something different. I can identify with the struggle of Paul as you pointed out. A very good post today with lots to ponder!

Vintage Whimsy Studio said...

Tami - such a thought-provoking quotation! Perhaps because I have experienced so much of the destruction that results from this "two faces" approach to life, I realize I tend to be a bit too close to reality for some of my readers . . . .and this quotation definitely brought that out in my post today. Too personal? Perhaps. Too close to the edge? Perhaps. But I guess I've lived long enough to know that pretending doesn't work, so my apologies in advance if my raw-edged observations offend. Please know that is not my intention. Thanks for encouraging us to look into our own hearts and examine our own approach to life. Hugs, Nina